Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day!

In celebration of Earth Day, I felt it would be a good idea to get the class together to do something around the area.  We decided we would make Seed Bombs and throw them around areas of Providence that could use a little beautification.  This was a technique that caught interest in the 1970s with the guerilla gardening movement, and even now you can purchase pre-made seed bombs.  More Info

Friday, April 22, 2011  12:00-4:00 pm
Jacob, Eunhyung, Kirchin, and I started today by making the bombs.  Since I didn't have access to any red clay powder, I decided we could use my recipe for clay that I have used in some of my material explorations:  flour, lime, and rice hulls.  




 We rolled the clay into balls and filled them with soil and seeds.






Then we covered the seeds with more clay. 



We have 95 seed bombs drying overnight, to be thrown around the city tomorrow!


People walking by the studio thought these were edible, so I thought we might need a warning...

No comments:

Post a Comment